Saturday, September 10, 2011

Village Week 1- Meet the Peeps

We determine the ethnic make-up of our Village, and discover (not surprisingly) that most of us are Egyptians, but a few of us are from the other cultures found in the Mediterranean basin and beyond: a few Romans, some Greeks, a Parthian and a Nubian. We spent some time creating the background of our Peeps, and in coming weeks their stories will be ready for presentation in a formal introduction to the whole Village.

In an official letter, we are commanded by our queen, Cleopatra, to found a Village to provide food for both ourselves and Egypt, but also for the Romans, led by none other than Julius Caesar himself. (Ms. Dee)

I feel honored to have been at the birth of this year's Peeps at Village this past Thursday. Dee set the stage; we are Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Parthians, and Nubians living in Egypt, 48 BC. As the die was cast (literally— and with a little trading), I witnessed the birth of my own Peep, Baket Iset, the only Nubian I know of in our Village. Though all Peeps begin on equal footing in a sense, penniliess and shoeless, there was much ado about Peep castes. Apparently, we are each Upper, Middle, or Lower class. I wonder what bearing that will have....

I saw that from all of the same raw materials, each Peep is born unique. From the color of the Fimo and pipe cleaners to the shape of the affixed heads, I saw each person lovingly sculpt his or her new Village persona, experienced and unexperienced alike. I fall in the middle as I have subbed and attended Village a time or two, but it was wholly different to really be a part of it from the beginning. I saw some fabulous hair, amazing feet and shoes. There were dresses, cloaks, shawls, and head covers galore. I can't wait to play again.

It seems Peep rulers will be needed in Village. If you don't know about Peep rulers, a "real" half-inch is equivalent to one Peep foot. Turns out, Baket is eight Peep feet tall, and an aspiring healer. I heard others murmuring their Peep's hopes and dreams, and can only imagine what this Peep lifetime will bring! (From Ms. Carey)

No comments:

Post a Comment